number of magazines and handbooks exist to show hopeful handymen of all ages
just how easy it is to build anything from a coffee table to a fifteen foot
(4.5 meters) sailing dinghy.
All you need, it seems, is a hammer and a few nails.
You follow the simple instructions step by step and, before you know where you are, the finished article stands before you, complete in every detail.
Unfortunately, alas, it is not always quite as simple as it sounds! Many a budding “do-it-yourself” has found to his cost that one cannot learn a skilled craftsman’s job overnight.
How quickly one realizes, when doing it oneself, that a job which takes the skilled man an hour or so to complete takes the amateur handyman five to six at least.
And then there is the question of tools.
The first thing the amateur learns is that he must have the right tools for the job.
But tools cost money.
There is also the wear and tear on the nerves.
It is not surprising then that many people have come to the conclusion that the expense of paying professionals to do the work is, in the long run, more economical than “do-it-yourself”.
b) a few
c) a little
67) She didn't want the job, ……… .
a) however well paid was it
b) however well paid it was
c) for how good pay might it be
d) however good pay it was
68) He has been ……… for armed robbery.
69) The financial director ……… for almost an hour.
a) kept us to wait
b) kept us waiting
c) made us to wait
d) made us waiting
70) I've often ……… at the Wiejce Palace Hotel.
75) "I'm going to the cinema on Saturday." "So ……… ."
a) I am
b) do I
c) I do
d) am I
76) They ……… him of scratching the car.
77) They had to leave the flat because they couldn't pay the ……… .
78) She ……… at me and then turned away.
79) The book shop rang ……… that the dictionary you ordered has arrived.
a) to say
b) to tell
c) for saying
d) for telling
80) If he hadn't drunk so much, he ……… sick. a) didn't feel
b) wouldn't feel
c) hadn't felt
d) hasn't felt
81) Maria has two sisters, but she doesn't speak to ……… of them.
82) Hubert is an uncle of ……… .
83) We discussed the house plans ……… our way to the shops.
84) George goes to ……… by car.
a) a work
b) the work
c) an work
85) Have you found a job ……… ?
86) My boots are dirty. I'd better take them ……… before I come in.
87) What did the man say ……… ?
a) at you
b) to you
c) for you
88) Do you think I should move to Ireland? You shouldn't do anything ……… you think it's the right thing to do.
c) in case
89) We can finish the rest of the eggs for ……… .
a) a breakfast
b) the breakfast
d) a breakfasts
90) If she doesn't ……… my sight at once, I'll scream!
a) go out from
b) go off
c) get away from
d) get out of